Monday, June 1, 2015

Week 22

Santa vaca. What a week!

We had such a huge miracle this week! Esperanza, our deaf investigator, was going to be leaving this week for New Jersey for 6 months where she would be with friends who spoke ASL. She goes every year. We were preparing her for baptism, and we taught all the lessons. She was reading and praying, and was doing so well to have a date. We felt after one of our lessons with her last week that she was super ready for baptism. The Spirit was telling us so strongly. Our Zone leaders, Elder Maurer and Elder Stone, told us we needed to talk to President, since she has only been to church once. We called and he was hesitant about having her get baptized because there were so many things we had left to figure out, and especially since she would be leaving for New Jersey, we had to get an address so we could make sure to send missionaries to visit her there. President Burt asked us to pray and he said that he would pray and we would talk the next day. Hermana Wilson and I decided to fast to know what the will of Heavenly Father was. We fasted all day long, and to end our fasts, we had a lesson with Esperanza. Throughout the day, we felt that our answer was that she shouldn't be baptized this Sunday. We were sad, but we also trusted the Lord. We got to the lesson and went over the baptismal interview questions with her. She answered everything perfectly. She understands and feels it all. She knows it's true. She's had other missionaries from other churches try to convert her, but she felt like they were all wrong. She loves everything about the church and is so excited to be able to pay tithing! We were about to let her know that she couldn't get baptized this Sunday, when we decided to check when she was leaving. She is now not leaving for at least 3 more weeks! The plan is for her to get baptized this next Sunday! Keep her in your prayers! We are meeting with her tonight and just going over lessons again, and reading the scriptures with her. She came to church again yesterday and loved it.

I was reading in Mosiah about Abinadi, that made me think of everything happening with Esperanza, but on slightly different scale. I love this part in Chapter 13:

9 But I finish my message; and then it matters not whither I go, if it so be that I am saved.

10 But this much I tell you, what you do with me, after this, shall be as a type and a shadow of things which are to come.

Abinadi was completely willing to do whatever the Lord commanded. He didn't expect the Lord to save his life after he was finished preaching. That was what he was sent to do, and he trusted in the Lord. He was pretty sure that he was going to be killed, but that did not stop him. He kept firm in the faith and bore testimony of Jesus Christ. He said that whatever happened to him was what would happen to them, good or bad. I love how much faith and trust he had.

I went on exchanges this week to Van YSA with Sister Rogers! It was so good! It was cool to see what missionary work was like for other people. While we were out, we went contacting downtown. I was waiting to talk to this one lady, watching her daughter feed some birds with crumbs. All of a sudden a freaking pigeon hits my head and then lands on the ground. Yes. What in the world? It was so weird! I freaked out a little. Mostly just shocked. Everyone who saw just acted like I was CRAZY. Oh man.

Then we had a lesson in a park. A dog park... So that was different. It was actually with Jennifer*, who I met one of my first weeks in the field, but we passed her to YSA because we thought she would enjoy being part of YSA better. But we were sitting there, testifying of Christ, and all of a sudden I am surrounded by two little puppies and then this MASSIVE dog licks me in the face. I played it cool. And then wiped my face and it was sooooo wet!
We pretty much just walked everywhere and went contacting for the past few days because we were low on kilometers. When we got back a few nights ago, I looked down at my bag, and there was bird poop! That bag was on my left side all day long. Do you know how close I was to getting pooped on by a bird? Mmm hmm.

While out contacting that day, I met Saundra Ward, an RM from Amber's mission. She recognized me and I recognized her, and when I said where I was from and found out she served in Halifax, the rest is history. Not really. Then we decided to take a picture. And then I saw her a few more times.

EVERYONE! Lucia* came to church this week! What a blessing! And I asked when she was going to teach us how to paint and she said soon! Haha can't wait.

Congratulations, John! Good thing you can already sing Happy Birthday in Tahitian. One less thing to learn:)

I don't know what else to say. My thoughts are all over right now.

Go put your trust in the Lord and work miracles!

Hermana Lewis

She burnt the popcorn.


Our apartment still smells like burnt popcorn. It was bad.
In fact, outside smelled like burnt popcorn. For days.



Saundra Ward

From a former ivestigator, Cristobal Vasquez*. Last P day, we sacrificed some of our precious time to translate for him at an eye appointment. It was a miracle though, because we had been trying to teach them for 2 transfers, but no one ever answered the phone when we would call, and we didn't want to drive all the way out to New West for a drop by. We got 2 new numbers that we can call them with. He sent us this text during the week.





I creep on children. Sorry. You would think 3 times is the charm...


No comments:

Post a Comment