Wednesday, January 28, 2015

1/28/2015

This week has gone by so fast! But it has been so good! 

A couple days ago I was studying the Refiner's fire because it is the best. 

"I wish to speak... to those who feel they have had more trials, sorrows, pricks, and thorns than they can bear and in their adversity are almost drowned in the waters of bitterness"

"Into every life there come the painful, despairing days of adversity and buffeting. There seems to be a full measure of anguish, sorrow, and often heartbreak for everyone, including those who earnestly seek to do right and be faithful. The thorns that prick us, that stick in the flesh, that hurt, often change lives which seem robbed of significance and hope. This change often comes about through a refining process which often seems cruel and hard. In this way, the soul can become like soft clay in the hands of the Master in building lives of faith, usefulness, beauty, and strength. For some, the refiner's fire causes a loss of belief and faith in God, but those with eternal perspective understand that such refining is part of the perfection process."

Is that not just one of the best things you have ever heard? I love it! We need to allow our souls to become soft like clay in the Master's hands. The more willing we are to let that happen, the easier it will be. Hno Adlish, in response to a question, wrote an equation on the board for change. I'll send the picture later. It is the coolest. 

This week Elder Garcia and Sister Goodman came in! 

Thank you for the package and the letters! You are all the best! 

Last night we had another lesson with Maria*. The missionaries who were in with her before went 10 minutes over, and already our lessons with her are scheduled for only 25 minutes. We went in and we talked a little bit and asked if she was able to go to Church on Sunday, as we challenged her on Thursday. She said not this week because she went out of town with her family. They went to Vegas to get a passport for their daughter, and Maria told us how she doesn't like Las Vegas because of all the bad influences and you can really just feel negativity. She started talking about how her daughter wanted a drink, but the only drinks had alcohol. Her daughter was 21, so Maria didn't tell her if she could or couldn't, but she said her daughter decided a long time ago she would never have alcohol. Which was perfect, because our lesson was on la Palabra de Sabiduría. Instead of taking 15 minutes, we took 50! So that changed a couple of our plans for the rest of the night, but it was so good! The spirit was strong!

In our lesson with Julio*, we got his attention. We were teaching about covenants so he could understand that as members of the church, we make promises and commitments with God, and we believe in keeping them, as opposed to just being a member. I told a story about my life, and how when I was true to the commitments I made, I was blessed. My initial thought was "I did it!" but then later realized I was definitely strengthened in my time of need. Without Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, I would not have been able to make it. Then Hna Cobb explained why we make promises to God, and that we call them covenants. He seemed really interested. The teacher investigators always exaggerate boredom or lack of interest when we teach so we can pick up on it, but this lesson was super different. We ran out of time though as we were about to apply the story of the Strippling Warrios to him and his life, but he asked if we could continue our next lesson, which is tonight. So we are pretty excited to see how that goes.

One thing I just remembered from our first day here was we taught "investigators" in group form. They separated all the new missionaries into 3 groups and we taught some people. The worker in charge of our group had the best accent. It took me a while to figure out what it reminded me of, but I finally put my finger on it. It sounds like Shawn Spencer when he talks in his Swedish accent. Needless to say, it was great!

On Monday we had an ayuna [fasting] de Ingles. It was super fun. We got into it and did so well! Even planning our lessons was in Spanish, which is harder than it sounds. It went pretty perfectly until class after lunch, where we had to do a lot of things in English, and then for the rest of the night it was a struggle to remember. 

Congratulations to all those who got their mission calls! I'm so excited!

I don't know what to share! So much has happened, but it is also just the same every week. 

OH MY GOODNESS. Family, you wont believe me, but two nights ago I suffered through growing pains! I got no sleep. Why am I still growing? 

I have perfected my head stands. 

I played the piano for the first time on Saturday! And then I played for Sacrament Meeting on Sunday. It was the best.

Before every week for Sacrament meeting, we have to write a 3-5 minute talk in Spanish. This week was super busy, so I didn't have much time at all to write my talk. But I'll write it here for all of you so you know we do mission related things. The topic was faith in Christ. Don't mind the grammar at all because I wrote it in as much time as it would take to read. 

La fe en Jesucristo nos ayuda llegar a ser las personas mejor. Mediante la fe en Cristo, podemos ser limpio para eternidad. Sin fe en Cristo no podemos volver y vivir con Dios otra vez. 

Uno de mis escrituras preferado es Mateo 14,31. Pedro fue en un barco y veó Cristo sobre el agua. Pedro quiere caminar sobre el agua y Cristo dicho, si tiene la fe, usted puede caminar sobre el agua. Pedro tienó fey empreza caminar, pero Pedro veó el océano tempestuoso y tiene miedo. 

Versiculo 14 dice ...

Me gusta much que dice ¨y al momento Jesús, extendiendo la mano¨. Jesucristo no empreso. Él fue allí. Tambien, me gusta mucho que Jesús dice ¨Por qué dudaste¨. Si nosotros conocemos a Cristo, nosotros no tenemos que tener los préocupaciones. Si tenemos la fe en Cristo, todos seran bueno. 

Testimonio.

Ya. We have to write them down. 

I'm really excited for all the time I have over the next 17 months and 1 week to completely change. I hope none of you know me by the time I get home. I love being able to devote myself to Christ and his gospel all day. I had an interview with one of my teachers yesterday, and he was just checking how things were going, one on one. I realized that even though nothing huge has changed, there has been change on the inside and change on my heart, and over time it will completely change me. I cannot wait.

Anyway, love you all. The gospel is true. 

Oh. One more cool thing. In Spanish, to know is the verb saber. Pero, to know personally is the verb conocer. In the scriptures it uses conocer when talking about knowing Christ. We need to gain testimony and then conversion in Christ. 

Con amor, paz, y felicidad,

Hermana Lewis


Studying for days.






Schedule

Equation for change. En español.

Last week at the temple.









Partial district.


We have, no lie, eaten a million of these giant chocolate chip cookies. Also, I have gained weight...







"All by myself"


This man in charge of Cafeteria Administration gave Hna Cobb and me some fresh picked oranges because he saw me getting some. IT WAS SO GOOD! 

Hna Bagley thought you would want a picture of me, Mamacita.


Elder Passey likes to pose for the camera.

Our Class Schedule

Elder Arce steals my camera almost daily.


The Elders promised they wouldn't steal my camera.

After our lesson with Maria last night.




No comments:

Post a Comment