Thursday, October 22, 2015

Week 42

Transfer news came this week! We had a short transfer and next transfer is going to be 7 weeks. And the big news... I'm out of Vancouver Spanish. After 8 months and 3 days, I will be leaving my baby area. I'm being shipped off to Kelowna! My new companion is going to be Sister Madsen. She trained Sister Collier, one of my buddies from the MTC. I'm super excited to see what's in store! I'm going to be in the Kelowna YSA and a Sister Training Leader.

This week was a good week! We got to spend a little time with President Burt on Tuesday and Thursday, and it was the best. If anyone is wondering if I have the desire to do the work, let me tell you now, I sure do!
I'm so grateful that I can be a missionary! I wouldn't trade this for the world! And when I get back, I'm so excited to still be a missionary!

A lot of this is thoughts super based off of Preach My Gospel, so it's nothing new, but I love it.
As baptized members of the church, we all covenanted with God that we would take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, always remember him, keep his commandments, stand as witnesses of God at all times, in all things, and in all places, and to help all those in need. 

President Spencer W. Kimball said, "Now is the moment in the timetable of the Lord to carry the gospel farther than it has ever been carried before... Many a person in this world is crying, knowingly and unknowingly, 'Come over... and help us.' He might be your neighbor. She might be your friend. He might be a relative. She might be someone you met only yesterday. But we have what they need. Let us take new courage from our studies and pray, as did Peter, "And no, Lord, ... grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word'.
And President Hinkley said, as in Preach my Gospel, "We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory, 'to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man' (Moses 1:39). Your obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere".

"Let there be cultivated an awareness in every member's heart of his own potential for bringing others to a knowledge of the truth. Let him work at it. Let him pray with great earnestness about it". 

As members of the church, we have the responsibility and calling to share the gospel with those around us. We have not been asked to find someone to be baptize immediately, but to help others find peace and hope, and come closer to our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ.

There are so many people I want to quote, but I can't remember who said what and when so you get the brief version. But someone said to invite your neighbors over for dinner or family home evening and invite them to meet the missionaries. And if you don't know your neighbors, repent! And then invite them! I have seen the power of families in missionary work. It is real! "The process of bringing new people into the Church is not the responsibility alone of the missionaries. They succeed best when members become the source from which new investigators are found" (Preach my Gospel, page 160-161).

The more we understand the gospel and the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the more we will have the desire and the need to share it with others.

 Mosiah 28:3-- Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.

 Doctrine and Covenants 11:21-- Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men.

If we are not having the desires to share the gospel, we are probably not understanding the gospel, which all comes back to our study and the amount of time we are willing to dedicate to God. Are we putting God first? "You are to study, believe, love, live, and teach" (Preach My Gospel, page 29).
There is so much power in the Book of Mormon! Use it! 

President Joseph F. Smith said, "We have a mission in the world: each man, each woman, each child who has grown to understanding or to the years of accountability, ought...to be qualified to preach the truth, to bear testimony of the truth".

And here is where my commitment comes. "Give your best efforts to help people qualify for 'eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God'" (Preach My Gospel, page 221). As a family, and to whoever takes the time to read this, I invite you to be a Preach My Gospel Family (thanks to Elder Zamano for the idea). As a family, study Preach My Gospel, but especially Chapter 3. Study the principles and doctrines of the Gospel and quiz each other. Make learning fun and important. You can take it section by section or lesson by lesson, but learn it and know it. And then invite someone over! And introduce them to the missionaries! There are so many ways to do it. But do it! You will be able to help teach and share with what you have studied and learned as a family. It doesn't matter who you invite, but that you do it, and have the missionaries there. And, I invite you to do it before this year is over! I'd love to hear of the experiences you have! I promise that if you do it, you will be closer as a family, and you will experience Godly joy:)

Anyway. Hurrah for Israel!

Go fulfill your covenants!

Paz y bendiciones! 
Hermana Lewis


Are you my mother?


Conference breakfast





Killer sunrise from our door!


Marli<3



Lucia!

The beginnings of a very rainy park-your-car day!

Waiting for the bus




City Center



There is just this wall with wires hanging from different places all around the world on a building downtown. Then there is this shallow thing of water surrounding it with little wood steps. It's my favorite! That's me;)

Photo shoot with myself. And a timer.


Preparing her talk. I'm so helpful.





Saying goodbye to the Wisers! They are amazing!

Saying bye to my Cassandra


Oralia, Luisa, Me, Celeste


Homeboy Andrew





Selfie!

Me and my favorite juice!


No comments:

Post a Comment